We spent the past week here on GUWG exploring the WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, WHY and HOW of prayer. But we’ve barely scratched the surface of this vast subject.
Here are some additional resources you might want to check out.
As Matthew Henry said: “The Bible is a letter God has sent to us; prayer is a letter we send to him.” Read it, mediate on it, pray through it.
For some of the world’s greatest prayers, turn to:
- Abraham’s prayer for Sodom (Genesis 18)
- Moses’ song of thanks (Exodus 15)
- Solomon’s dedication of the temple (1 Kings 8:22-61)
- Jehoshaphat’s prayer for victory (2 Chronicles 20)
- Job’s confession (Job 42)
- A song of praise (Psalm 18)
- A cry for help (Psalm 22)
- Praise for God’s enduring love (Psalm 136)
- Daniel’s prayer for Israel (Daniel 9)
- Mary’s song (Luke 1:46-55)
- The Lord’s Prayer (Matthew 6)
- Jesus’ prayer for his followers (John 17)
- Jesus’ prayer in the garden (Matthew 26:36-44)
- Stephen’s prayer at his death (Acts 7:59-60)
- Paul’s prayer of praise (Ephesians 1)
- Peter’s prayer of thanks (1 Peter 1:3-5)
- Prayer for overflowing love (1 Thessalonians 3:11-13)
- Great prayer closers (Ephesians 3:20-21, Hebrews 13:20-21, Jude 1:24-25)
There are thousands of books on prayer. Here are some of the ones that have helped me become less of a prayer nincompoop:
- The Complete Works of E.M. Bounds on Prayer (100+ essays on virtually every imaginable aspect of prayer)
- Prayer by Phillip Yancey (practical insights into the mystery and practice of prayer)
- The Pocket Book of Prayers by Jim Palmer (bite-sized prayers from spiritual giants like St. Francis, Martin Luther and Mother Teresa)
- Praying with the Psalms by Eugene Peterson (daily reflections exploring the beauty and anguish of David’s prayers)
- All the Prayers in the Bible by Herbert Lockyer (exactly what the title says — a collection of more than 650 prayers straight out of God’s word)
- Too Busy Not to Pray by Bill Hybels (putting God first in today’s frantic world)
- Crazy Love by Francis Chan (love = the key to prayer and our relationship with God)
Thanks for joining us this week!