Today is the International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church. Millions of Christians worldwide are praying for our brothers and sisters who are in dangerous and difficult circumstances due to their faith.
We’re all in this together. As Paul said, when one part of the body suffers, “all the parts suffer.” (1 Corinthians 12:26)
Thousands of Christians are martyred each year. Thousands more face torture, beatings and imprisonment.
What can we do to help? Here are a few suggestions:
- Voice of the Martyrs offers a free video to help spread the IDOP message, as well as prisoner alerts, a letter-writing campaign kit and other ways to get involved.
- Go to WorldHelp for stories of persecution around the world and practical ways to help.
- Visit OpenDoors to see the World Watch List.
- Check out Gospel for Asia for resources focused on that region.
- Get Operation World for a handy guidebook packed with prayer suggestions and other information for every nation on the planet.
- Get on Twitter and encourage peeps to pray, using the hashtag #IDOP.
Below is a prayer to pray throughout the day. But please don’t stop there. Please please please keep these precious brothers and sisters in your prayers every single day of the year.
DEAR HEAVENLY FATHER,
Today we join together as one to pray for our fellow believers around the world who face persecution because of their faith.
Please protect them, provide for them and help them persevere despite the hardships they’re facing.
Please fill them to overflowing with your Spirit so that the world may see your love, joy and peace in action.
Please help them to be your lights in the midst of the darkness.
Please help us to remember that we are all one body and that when our brothers and sisters suffer, we all suffer.
We also pray for those doing the persecuting. Please help them to turn from their ways and toward you. We pray that you would fill their hearts with love for you and others instead of hate.
We ask this all in Jesus’ mighty name.
(Image credit: Shutterstock.com)