It’s THANKS-O-RAMA 2019 here on GUWG, where for the past week we’ve been giving thanks to God for all his amazing, astounding, astonishing blessings.
I suspect that some of us are still struggling to recover from an overdose of turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie. Here’s a rather sobering passage to consider:
“Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?”
The King will reply, “Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” (Matthew 25:37-40)
More words straight from the mouth of Jesus:
Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. (Matthew 5:42)
Be generous to the poor. (Luke 11:41)
Freely you have received; freely give. (Matthew 10:8)
Sell all your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. (Matthew 19:21)
Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed. (Luke 12:15)
Woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort. Woe to you who are well fed now, for you will go hungry. (Luke 6:24-25)
According to the latest statistics from stopthehunger.com, more than ten million people have died from hunger this year. Some other eye-opening stats:
- another 25,000 people will die from hunger today;
- more than 1 in 10 of the world’s population is undernourished;
- the amount spent in the U.S. on obesity-related diseases is more than 100 times more than the global amount spent on food aid; and
- Americans will waste more than 100,000 tons of food today — enough to feed every single hungry person in the world and still have plenty left over.
Want to Help?
Ask God to (1) help you ignore the “buy more stuff” messages the world is screaming at you and (2) open your eyes to the needs all around us. Here are some suggested action items for your consideration:
- Sell some of your stuff and give the money away.
- Get involved in your community by helping out in a local homeless shelter or food pantry.
- Instead of ignoring beggars on the street, take ‘em to the nearest restaurant and buy ‘em a meal.
- Visit foodforthepoor.org, where you can provide a meal to a hungry family for less than a dollar a day.
- Give clean water to impoverished villages with Living Water International and Lifewater International.
- Go to worldvision.org, where you can help struggling families with educational, medical and other needs.
- Share food, clean water and the Gospel by sponsoring a child through Compassion International.
- Help stop slavery worldwide with Exodus Cry and International Justice Mission.
- Check out bloodwatermission.com, where you can help build sustainable wells in Africa.
- Visit 1040 Connections to bring help and hope to those around the world who’ve never heard of Jesus.
- Help finance small business growth in impoverished areas with Opportunity International.
- Play trivia games at freerice.com where each correct answer triggers a food donation.
Here’s another verse for your consideration:
If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. (1 John 3:17-18)
Since I started writing this, another 338 people have died from starvation. Act now. Don’t delay.
PUT YOUR THANKS
(Image credit: Shutterstock.com)