1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,
According to mathematicians, those are the odds Jesus beat when he fulfilled dozens of detailed prophecies about Him in the Old Testament. Pretty impressive when you consider that the odds of getting hit by lightning during your lifetime are 1 in 5,000.
What were some of those prophecies?
- The Messiah would be born in tiny little Bethlehem (predicted about 700 B.C. in Micah 5:2).
- His hands and feet would be pierced (predicted in Psalm 22:16 — 800 years before the Romans even started practicing crucifixion).
- He would be betrayed for thirty silver coins that would be scattered on the temple floor and later used to buy a potter’s field (Zechariah 11:11-13).
- He would be on the scene while the temple was still standing in Jerusalem — pretty amazing given that the temple was destroyed in 70 A.D. and never rebuilt (Malachi 3:1).
- He would be born to a virgin (Isaiah 7:14).
That’s merely a sampling of the many prophecies that Jesus fulfilled. Coincidence? Accident? Myth? You decide.