This week, we’re walking in Jesus’ footsteps to the cross and beyond.
Yesterday, Jesus died on the cross. Or so it seemed.
Rather astonishing eyewitness reports are pouring in from all over. According to those accounts:
- “Darkness came over all the land” from approximately noon until 3:00 p.m. yesterday as Jesus hung on the cross (Matthew 27:45).
- At the exact moment of Jesus’ death, a huge curtain in the temple measuring approximately 60 feet high and 4 inches thick was “torn in two from top to bottom” (Matthew 27:51). According to religious authorities, that curtain separated the “Most Holy Place” — an inner sanctum symbolizing God’s presence — from the rest of the temple.
- There were also reports of earthquakes and rocks splitting at the exact moment of Jesus’ death (Matthew 27:51).
- Stranger yet, witnesses reported that “the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life” and “came out of the tombs” (Matthew 27:52-53).
- Even Jesus’ executioners appeared to be affected by the strange events. One centurion reportedly exclaimed: “Surely he was the Son of God!” (Matthew 27:54)