We’re attempting to answer the question What exactly are Christians supposed to do? by looking at 50 commands straight from the mouth of Jesus.
We kicked things off with Jesus’ Big 2. He said there are no commands greater than these:
- Love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength.
- Love your neighbor as yourself.
(Matthew 22:37-40; Mark 12:28-34)
Jesus’ other commands show what it reeeeeally means to love God and others. Here’s today’s featured command: PRAY!
Jesus had a lot to say on this subject …
- Pray in Secret. “When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” (Matthew 6:5-6)
- Don’t Babble. “When you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.” (Matthew 6:7-8)
- Pray This Way. “This, then, is how you should pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.” (Matthew 6:9-13)
- Ask, Seek and Knock. “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.” (Matthew 7:7-8)
- Pray in Faith. “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” (Matthew 21:21-22) “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.” (John 15:7) “I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” (Mark 11:24)
- Watch and Pray. “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” (Matthew 26:41)
Do what Jesus says: PRAY!
(Image credit: Shutterstock.com)