We continue our journey into every word spoken by Jesus in the Gospels to help us all KNOW JESUS MORE NOW.
We’re in the midst of a series entitled JESUS ON EVERYTHING. Today’s topic? PRAYER.
Jesus had lots to say not his subject:
- Don’t Do It For Show. “When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” (Matthew 6:5-6)
- Don’t Babble. “When you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.” (Matthew 6:7-8)
- Pray This Way. “This, then, is how you should pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.” (Matthew 6:9-13)
- Never Give Up. “Will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly.” (Luke 18:7-8)
- Ask, Seek, Knock. “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.” (Matthew 7:7-8)
- Pray in Faith. “Have faith in God! I can guarantee this truth: This is what will be done for someone who doesn’t doubt but believes what he say will happen: He can say to this mountain, ‘Be uprooted and thrown into the sea,’ and it will be done for him. That’s why I tell you to have faith that you have already received whatever you pray for, and it will be yours.” (Mark 11:23-24) (GW) “Whatever you request along the lines of who I am and what I am doing, I’ll do it.” “If you make yourselves at home with me and my words are at home in you, you can be sure that whatever you ask will be listened to and acted upon.” (John 14:13, 15:7) (The Message)
- Don’t Snooze — Pray. “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” (Matthew 26:41)
- Seek God’s Will. “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” (Luke 22:42)
(Image credit: Shutterstock.com)