For the past several weeks we’ve been attempting to answer the question What exactly are Christians supposed to do? by looking at 50 commands straight from the mouth of Jesus.
We began with Jesus’ Big 2 Commands:
- Love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength.
- Love your neighbor as yourself.
As Jesus said, “There is no commandment greater than these” and “all the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” (Matthew 22:37-40; Mark 12:28-34)
Below is a handy list of the 50 commands we covered that show what it reeeeeally means to love God and others. Print it out. Mediate on it. Marinate in it. Memorize it. And then ask the Holy Spirit to help you DO it.
As Jesus said:
If you love me, keep my commands. (John 14:15)
Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. (John 14:21)
If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free. (John 8:31-32)
JESUS’ OFFICIAL TO-DO LIST
- Trust God, don’t test him.
- Worship only God.
- Repent and believe.
- Follow Jesus and fish for people.
- Be spiritually reborn.
- Be the salt of the earth.
- Be the light of the world.
- Don’t wait, stop the hate.
- Stop sin at its source.
- Honor marriage.
- Wield words wisely.
- Love your enemies.
- Be compassionate.
- Don’t trumpet your good deeds.
- Fast joyfully.
- Serve God, not $$$.
- Never worry about earthly stuff. Seek God’s kingdom first.
- Fear nothing in this world. Fear only God.
- Believe in Jesus.
- Yank your planks before spotting specks.
- Don’t throw pearls to pigs.
- Beware hypocrisy.
- Enter life through Jesus.
- Beware false prophets and false followers.
- Get well soon. Stop sinning.
- Follow Jesus now. No excuses.
- Learn what this means: “I desire mercy, not sacrifice.”
- Open your eyes, work for God and pray for others to join in.
- Let the Spirit do the talking.
- Learn from Jesus and find rest for your soul.
- Deny yourself, take up your cross and follow Jesus.
- Deal with sin directly.
- Become like little children,
- Leave it all behind.
- Keep God’s house clean.
- Give God what is God’s.
- Never exalt yourself. Always be humble.
- Be alert, pray and stand firm as the end draws near.
- Fill up with Jesus, be forgiven by him, remember him and remain in him.
- Put your sword away.
- Receive the Holy Spirit.
- Stop doubting and believe.
- Looooove Jesus and feed his sheep.
- Follow Jesus.
- Go, make disciples, baptize ’em and teach ’em to obey Jesus’ commands.
(Image credit: Shutterstock.com)