Today’s featured fruit: JOY.
What exactly is joy? Joy isn’t an emotion. It isn’t happiness. It isn’t pleasure. It’s waaaaay deeper than that.
Joy comes from God. It’s available 24/7, no matter the circumstances.
What does the Bible say? Joy is a major theme in the Bible. It sings in the Psalms, graces the Gospels, epitomizes the Epistles and reverberates in Revelation. Here’s just a sampling:
- “Shout with joy to God, all the earth!” (Psalm 66:1)
- “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” (Philippians 4:4)
- “[T]he joy of the Lord is your strength.” (Nehemiah 8:10)
- Jesus told His disciples: “I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy.” (John 16:22)
- “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.” (James 1:2)
- “Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory!” (Revelation 19:7)
C. S. Lewis called joy “the serious business of heaven.” Billy Sunday said: “If you have no joy in your religion, there’s a leak in your Christianity somewhere.”