Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. (1 Timothy 6:18)
What if December looked different this year? What if we all just give this Christmas away?
That’s the question posed in a little book entitled Give This Christmas Away. It’s packed with loving and creative ways to celebrate Jesus’ birth.
Here’s just a sampling of this “different kind of Christmas list”:
- Got an extra shoebox? Take part in Operation Christmas Child and fill it with gifts for needy children.
- Got a little extra food? Set an extra place at the Christmas dinner table and invite someone who has no place to go.
- Snowbound? Put on your hat and mittens and shovel out an elderly neighbor’s driveway.
- Sitting on the couch? Dig underneath the cushions and put what you find in a Salvation Army kettle.
- Near an ATM? Withdraw some bills and have fun hiding ’em where people who need the money more than you do can find ’em.
- Hitting the Starbucks drive-thru? Pay (and pray) for the person in line behind you.
- Got some vacation time? Volunteer at a homeless shelter after Christmas, when they really need the help.
- Preoccupied? Get off the computer, shut off the TV, put down your phone and give your friends and family the present of your presence.
- Know any grinches? Give ’em a hug and wish ’em a Merry Christmas — you just might melt some icy hearts.
For other ways to bring joy to some of the more impoverished parts of the world this Christmas, click here.
(Image credit: Shutterstock.com)