Or so it seemed.
Rather astonishing eyewitness reports are pouring in from all over. According to those accounts:
- “Darkness came over all the land” from approximately noon until 3:00 p.m. yesterday as Jesus hung on the cross (Matthew 27:45).
- At the exact moment of Jesus’ death, a huge curtain in the temple measuring 60 feet high and 4 inches thick was “torn in two from top to bottom” (Matthew 27:51). According to religious authorities, that curtain separated the “Most Holy Place” — an inner sanctum symbolizing God’s presence — from the rest of the temple.
- There were also reports of earthquakes and rocks splitting open at the exact moment of Jesus’ death (Matthew 27:51).
- Stranger yet, witnesses reported that “the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life” and “came out of the tombs” (Matthew 27:52-53).
- Even Jesus’ executioners appeared to be affected by the strange events. One centurion reportedly exclaimed: “Surely he was the Son of God!” (Matthew 27:54)