You’re not alone. Consider these eye-popping statistics:
- The average workweek is up 32% over the past 25 years.
- Time spent in traffic is up 157% over that same period.
- 40% of us are sleep-deprived zombies.
- 33% of us are “chronically overworked.”
- We squander more than 400 million unused vacation days each year.
- 80% of medical expenses are now stress-related.
- 1 in 6 of us has exhibited “desk rage.”
Just in case yesterday’s anxiety-reducing post wasn’t enough, here are some words directly from the mouth of Jesus. Pray through each syllable, asking the Holy Spirit to help you focus on TODAY instead of worrying about tomorrow.
So do not worry, saying,
“What shall we eat?” or
“What shall we drink?” or
“What shall we wear?’
For the pagans run after all these things,
and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness,
and all these things will be given to you as well.
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow,
for tomorrow will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Do not be anxious about anything,
but in everything, by prayer and petition,
with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding,
will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
My mother-in-law has this fabulous saying: “Worry is nothing more than interest paid on trouble before it becomes due.”
Anxious about the stock market? Pray, give thanks and get peace.
Anxious about your job? Pray, give thanks and get peace.
Anxious about your kids, your mortgage, your hairline, your car or maybe even your mother-in-law? Pray, give thanks and get peace.