What exactly are spiritual gifts? Great question. The Bible warns us not to be “ignorant” about this topic (1 Corinthians 12:1). In short, they are God-given abilities designed to build up the church today.
For the past couple of weeks here on GUWG, we’ve been discussing the Holy Spirit and what He means to us today. Here’s a little test just to make sure you were paying attention.
1. The Holy Spirit . . .
a. Is a person
b. Is God
c. Lives in all Christians
d. Guides, helps, teaches, comforts, warns and prays for us
e. All of the above
2. The Holy Spirit is NOT . . .
a. An “it”
b. An impersonal force that we can manipulate
c. A ghost that haunts our attics and only comes out at night
d. Someone we should ignore
e. All of the above
3. Which of the following is NOT a fruit of the Spirit?
4. Which would you rather have more of in your life: the fruit of the sinful nature (hatred, jealousy, discord, etc.) or the fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, etc.)?
a. The fruit of the sinful nature — I love being miserable and despised
b. The fruit of the Spirit
5. In John 15, God is the gardener, Jesus is the vine and we are the branches. In that picture, what is the Holy Spirit like?
b. The dirt
c. A cute little bunny hopping to and fro
d. Sap running through the branches, helping them produce good fruit
6. True or False: Christians should be grumpy, grimace and grit their teeth a lot as they serve God.
b. False — joy is a fruit of the Spirit
7. Complete this phrase: Blessed are the _______________.
c. Green Bay Packers
8. Christians should be faithful even to the point of ___________.
a. Mild discomfort
c. Potentially negative financial consequences
9. True or False: It’s OK for Christians to yell at telemarketers and/or customer service reps on the phone.
b. False — we should let our gentleness be evident to all
10. Which of the following is NOT a spiritual gift?
e. Excellent karaoke skills
EXTRA CREDIT: What happens to trees that don’t bear good fruit?
a. Nothing — all trees and fruit are basically good
b. They wither, die and are reincarnated as ugly shrubs
c. They’re ground into paper pulp and turned into church bulletins
d. They’re cut down and thrown into the fire
Answers: 1(e), 2(e), 3(j), 4(b), 5(d), 6(b), 7(d), 8(d), 9(b), 10(e), EC(d)
I hope you enjoyed the past two Spirit-filled weeks. Always remember . . .