How can a young man keep his way pure?
By living according to your word.
I seek you with all my heart;
do not let me stray from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
Praise be to you, O Lord;
teach me your decrees.
With my lips I recount
all the laws that come from your mouth.
I rejoice in following your statutes
as one rejoices in great riches.
I meditate on your precepts
and consider your ways.
I delight in your decrees;
I will not neglect your word.
Does the above accurately describe your approach to God’s word?
Do you rejoice in it? Do you meditate on it? Do you delight in it?
Or do you neglect it?
Here’s a little test to help you answer those questions . . .
Approximately how much time do you spend each week on the following:
- Watching dumb stuff on TV? ____ hours
- Mindlessly surfing the ‘Net? ____ hours
- Reading non-Christian-y stuff? ____ hours
- Listening to non-Christian-y music? ____ hours
- Shopping for stuff you don’t really need? ____ hours
- Doing hobbies? ____ hours
- Exercising? ____ hours
- Doing other amusement-ish stuff? ____ hours
TOTAL: ____ hours
- How many hours do you spend each week in God’s word? ____ hours
If your answer to the first question is bigger than your answer to the second, I humbly suggest that you ask God to help make his word more of a priority in your life.
Tomorrow, I’ll share the results of a GUWG survey of Christians on creative ways to get deeper into God’s word. In the meantime . . .
Turn off the TV. Unplug the computer. Open up your Bible and dive in.