I stumbled upon a web site the other day that’s devoted entirely to random top ten lists. There’s everything from the Top Ten Worst Songs of All Time to the Top Ten “Chick Flicks” Guys Actually Like to the Top Ten Things To Do With Empty Spam Cans.
The one thing the site seemed to lack is anything remotely spiritual. While all scripture is God-breathed and helpful for instruction, I thought it might be interesting to submit a list of my top ten favorite Bible verses. Click here to see the list.
Narrowing my list (which initially had waaaaaaay more than 100 on it) to a mere ten was virtually impossible. For that reason, below is a list of my 25 favorite verses.
What are your favorite verses? Send ’em to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Without further ado, here are my . . .
TOP 25 ALL-TIME-DESERT-ISLAND-MEMORIZE-THEM-RIGHT-NOW-AND-THEY-JUST-MIGHT-CHANGE-YOUR-LIFE BIBLE VERSES
- God is love. (1 John 4:8)
- Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. (Matthew 22:36-37)
- Pray continually. (1 Thessalonians 5:17)
- The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. (Galatians 5:22)
- In all things God works for the good of those who love him. (Romans 8:28)
- Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! (Philippians 4:4)
- For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith — and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God. (Ephesians 2:8)
- If you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
- And this is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. (1 John 3:16)
- For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, so that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)
- I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (John 14:6)
- If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. (Luke 9:23)
- I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. (Proverbs 3:5)
- Seek first his kingdom and righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well. (Matthew 6:33)
- Speak the truth in love. (Ephesians 4:16)
- Encourage one another daily. (Hebrews 3:13)
- Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. (Colossians 3:23)
- Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. (1 Peter 3:15)
- Godliness with contentment is great gain. (1 Timothy 6:6)
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)
- If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. (1 John 3:17-18)
- Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. (Matthew 11:28-30)
- Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. (1 Corinthians 13:4-8)
- Be still and know that I am God. (Psalm 46:10)