I tell you the truth, whatever you did
for one of the least of these brothers of mine,
you did for me.
According to the latest statistics from stopthehunger.com, more than one billion people are starving right now. Some other sobering stats:
- more than 25,000 people will die from hunger today
- nearly 1 in 6 of the world’s population is undernourished
- the amount spent in the U.S. on obesity-related diseases is nearly 50 times more than the global amount spent on food aid
- Americans will waste more than 100,000 tons of food today — more than enough to feed every single hungry person in the world and still have plenty left over
Do something. Now. Seriously.
- Sell some of your stuff and give the money away.
- Get involved in your community by helping out in a local homeless shelter or food pantry.
- Instead of ignoring beggars on the street, take ’em to Subway and buy ’em a meal.
- Visit foodforthepoor.org, where for $36 you can feed a hungry child for a year.
- Go to worldvision.org, where you can donate goats, chickens and cows to starving families.
- Share food, clean water and the Gospel by sponsoring a child through Compassion International.
- Check out bloodwatermission.com, where you can help build sustainable wells in Africa.
- Play trivia games at freerice.com where each correct answer triggers a food donation.
If anyone has material possessions
and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him,
how can the love of God be in him?
Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue
but with actions and in truth.
(1 John 3:17-18)